Fore(st)sight-email-promo2.jpg

Support
"fore(st)sight"

(

)

What is Junk Mail?

Junk mail, aka unsolicited mail or direct mail, consists of all the credit card offers, catalogs, flyers, coupons, phone books, and other mailings you didn’t ask for and don’t want.

(

)

Junk Mail Facts

• More than 100 million trees’ worth of junk mail arrives in American mailboxes each year---the equivalent of deforesting the Rocky Mountain National Forest 4 times per year.

• A typical mailbox receives over 40 pounds of junk mail every year.

• Over 2/3 of all junk mail is not even recycled, often because of the composition of the junk mail inks and fibers.

• Some 28 billion gallons of fresh water are needed to produce the annual crop of junk mail.

• In 2005, the U.S. Postal Service delivered across America over 100 billion (100,000,000,000) pieces of paper junk mail = Over 11 million pounds of paper junk mail.

• Over 5.4 million tons of junk mail alone are generated into municipal solid waste each year.

• Junk mail creates 2.1 million tons more solid waste yearly than all bathroom tissue and paper products combined.

• Assuming a typical 2% response rate to paper junk mail---the remaining 98% of junk mail paper waste is dumped in our crowded landfills.

An average of 44% of paper bulk mail is discarded unopened.

• Over 350,000 dump trucks and the necessary gas to fuel these vehicles are needed to haul away the non-recycled junk mail each year.

• Over $320 million of taxpayer dollars are spent annually just to dispose of junk mail.

Source: www.usjunkmail.com

Opt-Out from Junk Mail

Click on the logos

usjunkmail.gif
Federal Trade Commission Consumer Advice.png
Ridjunkmail.png
ridjunkmail2.jpeg
Paper Karma.png

Documentaries

Click on the movies

One Tree Planted - Deforestation.png
National Geographic - Deforestation.png
The Last Forest.png

Books

Click on the books

evergreen.jpg
The Heartbeat of Trees.jpg
rooted.jpg
finding the mother tree.jpg
Arboretum America- A Philosophy of the Forest.jpg